We (parents+kid) were called for an "interaction" session with the principal of Suncity World
School, Gurgaon last week, after being shortlisted out of the written exam we appeared for. It turned into an "interview" session literally, which leaves me totally pissed off in addition to the bad behaviour we were getting right from the reception onwards. The final result will be out on 1 Oct, Suncity was never our choice anyway, so let me publish my experience and opinion, as an individual, in an open forum, with no malice but merely as a critique of the attitude and procedures.
Firstly, the school is in complete violation of the RTE Act (which practically every other school is following this year) by being judgmental in the parent "interaction". Section 13 (1) of the RTE Act reads, “No school or person shall, while admitting a child, ...subject the child or his or her parents or guardian to any screening procedure.” This is exactly what the Principal was doing, and I had to react to it the moment I realise that this is getting to be a one-way "interview" as against a two-way "interaction"
The Principal asked first as to what vision we had for our childs education. We replied clearly, which seemed to satisfy her. She then asks how we think this school's approach will support our vision. To this question, I naturally replied now that you know what we want for our child, its us who would be interested to know from you how the school can help! Afterall, you know the school's approach better than us!
A simple counter-question to understand the schools approach to education directly from the Principal seemed to rather upset the principal. She replied that she had written every word in the brochure herself and there was a Curriculum Desk set up to reply such questions etc, but hte fact is, that doesnt absolve a Principal from explaining verbally during an "interaction", unless ofcourse she was actually taking an "interview", illegaly.
Instead of talking anything about the schools core values, her statement started with the school being backed by the largest media house in India, Zee Television. As far as I am concerned, I dont care if the money comes from Haldiram Bhujiawala or Bata shoe company, as long as its backed by sound core values, a sensitive Principal, experienced teaching staff and good infrastructure.
In short it was a complete disaster as far as the school is concerned, and though we have been interacting with atleast 10 schools in Gurgaon before choosing one, and I will speak well of most of the schools in some way or the other, I have very little praise for anything that I saw in Suncity after 3 visits to the school. Like the Principal said when I brought up the issue how other schools, during orientation, talk about curriculum and methodology as much as they focus on the infrastructure, "To each its own, you see!".
Monday, September 27, 2010
Admission
Labels:
admissions,
gurgaon,
Right to Education Act,
RTE,
school,
Suncity,
Suncity World school
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Finally which school you choose ?
Dear Mr >Roy.
The practice of "interview" is being illegally followed by most of the institutes.
In the name of interaction (interview), schools seem to wanting to ensure that parents and child are mentally / physically fit and won't cause any troubles or interfere in any day to day routines. I think so.
@Riya: Finally admitted her to Indus World School in Gurgaon
@Mr Advani: Some schools, and Indus World too, did request permission to talk to the child to (quote)"ensure that she is not a special child with any special needs". These schools admit (and I think rightfully so) that they are not equipped to admit or handle children with special needs. they let us be in such "interaction" - I totally agree to that point of view and it really takes 3-4 specific questions and activities to ensure that the child is normal. You would know the difference when its an interaction (to make sure she is not a special child) and when its an interview (to be judgmental about the child's intellect and capabilities).
Its the 2nd one that I detest.
Post a Comment