Friday, June 15, 2007

Orkut

Orkut (http://www.orkut.com) is a creepy place!

Strangers come up to me and ask "hey, I like your profile. Would you want to be my friend?" Apparently, wanting to be his (or her) friend is the only reason why one should exist in Orkut. It is a networking site, and so there is nothing wrong for strangers to come up and try to hobnob, violate your airspace, encroach your private property, all in the pretext that a couple of line I wrote in my profile has impressed the fellow netizen.

Hey! I don't know you from haripada, ok. For all that you know, I can be a mutant martian (as suspected in my opening blog) banished to the blue planet for trying to stage a coup. Worse still, from my perspective if you think about it, you could be one.

What makes Orkut wierd is it doesn't happen like that in the real world. I can't call up shahrukh khan and say "hey! I like your profile, can we be friends?" If a few well written self proclamations impress you to start making friends, would you call up Mr gavaskar after reading Sunny Days and say "I like what you wrote about yourself. Can we be friends?"

No, I say! I am scared of strangers for the last 38 years, since my mom told me to be, and I am glad I am. I have survived with a select few who really matter, who really cares and who I know exists outside the Matrix. I don't need a second life.

1 comment:

Sudha said...

hi sandeep
loved ur blog.I wanted to say that - its great that you brought in an angle into the family...i hope i am not sounding intrusive...chanced upon ur blog via orkut. Loved ur baby girl and ur house

take care
sudha