I thought I would be an architect. And what did I think architects do? Well, to start with...
1) they design something. So I would come to office in the morning and over a hot cup of tea, tickle my grey cells to come up with some nice things, small as a signage or big as a township.
2) they keep up to date with new materials, construction technology and design trends. So i would subscribe to all magazines and buy books by the dozen and go through them at leisure.
3) they obfuscate. So I would wave my hands in the air and gesture with my fingers to criticise the starkness of minimalistic architecture as cold and inhuman and give examples to suit based on the time spent on point 2 above.
You generally get the idea!
so, I became an architect and after 15 years of graduation, here's what I do 80% of my time.
1) read through e-mails and minutes of all the 8/10 projects to make sure I am up to date with whats going on. Check and correct minutes generated by my office to make sure that all backsides are covered. Write emails to cover some of the backsides which were potentially getting exposed
2) Attend meetings, because everyone wants to meet me, and talk and promise. Come back tired and with very little time to keep the promise.
3) Make sure all the cheques are signed, work orders are executed, what we are doing are as per our scope of work, fees are being billed -- and more importantly, getting paid, sign all leave applications and travel vouchers, the 15 cheques waiting to be given to our suppliers...
You generally get the idea!
Practicing architecture is a different ballgame altogether they dont teach you in college. I dont have to enjoy it, but somehow, I cant avoid it either. Its a long time since I have actually put in long constructive and satisfactory time to 'think design'. I miss it.
So let me see what I can do about it!
Tuesday, June 5, 2007
Work isnt what it used to be!
Labels:
architect,
architecture,
construction,
design,
professional practice,
work
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I get the point.
Post a Comment